I mentioned Eden Christian College very briefly in an earlier post. Today I want to look more closely at its history.
In 1938 the still small Mennonite Brethren community around Virgil, Ontario began an evening Bible school. In 1944 the local society running the school expanded to include members from other Mennonite Brethren churches; it also purchased a nine-acre property called Locust Grove near Virgil.
In the fall of 1945 the society decided to add a high school department to the program, and it invited Henry B. Tiessen, a public school teacher from Kitchener, to establish the program. Tiessen had come alone to Canada from Ukraine in 1926, and had attended teacher’s college in Stratford, Ontario, earning a first class teaching certificate that allowed him to teach up to grades nine and ten. He taught in various public schools for a number of years, and in 1945 was invited to teach high school courses at the new Virgil school. Appropriately, the school began with grades nine and ten.
There were 36 students in attendance the first fall. Rapid growth the second year saw the addition of teachers Abram H. Redekop, Anne Wiebe, and David Boschman. Grade eleven was added in the second year and grade twelve in the third year. The school received provincial accreditation in late 1946. In 1948 twelve students formed the first graduating class. A number of the original faculty members, including Tiessen, resigned in 1950, just as the school began a period of enormous growth; enrollment grew from 87 students in 1950 to 183 in 1955.
Like most new faith ventures, the school struggled financially. The Virgil Society, with the encouragement of the Ontario Mennonite Brethren conference, began a building project in November 1946 to create additional space. Money was short, and large debts were incurred. In 1948 the Ontario Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches agreed to take over the school as well as financial responsibility. The debt was liquidated by the end of 1950.
In 1955 the high school became known as Eden Christian College. Additional facilities were built in the mid-1950s, including an auditorium and more classrooms. During all these years some students stayed in campus dormitories—usually between twenty and thirty per year.
Eden’s enrollment ranged from 140 to 190 in the 1960s, though there was a bulge to 280 in 1972. The peak of 329 students came in 1975. During these years many United Mennonite (General Conference Mennonite) teenagers from the Niagara Peninsula also attended Eden, even though there was a United Mennonite high school in Leamington. Close proximity and a generally compatible cultural ethos with the Mennonite Brethren proved more attractive than the expense of boarding their children at a distance. The sudden enrollment bulge in the early 1970s led to construction of a new gym alongside the old gym and auditorium.
Eden Christian College dominated discussions at the Ontario Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches in the 1970s and 1980s because its finances consumed at least two-thirds of the conference’s budget. Some conference leaders preferred greater spending on home missions and argued that Eden increasingly served primarily the Mennonite Brethren churches located on the Niagara Peninsula. About half the students at Eden were Mennonite Brethren.
In the mid-1980s the dorm facilities were closed, since few Mennonite students from outside the Niagara Peninsula still attended. The Mennonite Brethren considered switching to an association model similar to those in place for Rockway Mennonite School (Kitchener) and United Mennonite Educational Institute (Leamington), but this idea was not accepted. Finally the conference explored cooperation with the public Lincoln County Board of Education.
This conversation was successful, and in September 1988 Eden Christian College became an “alternative school” under the public board on a trial basis. The response in the larger community to Eden’s changed status was immediate. Enrollment jumped from 170 in 1987 to 365 in 1991, partly because tuition costs were eliminated. Eden was administratively led through these dramatic changes by Rudy Bartel, who became principal in 1986. Bartel resigned the post in 1990 and retired as a teacher in 1994.
It soon became clear that government regulations sharply delineated what public taxes would pay for in an alternative school and what they would not. It also became clear that the original Eden campus near Virgil was not suitable for the rapidly expanding school. For a time the public board had no vacant properties to offer as an alternative, but in 1994, when student enrollment exceeded 440, the former Scottlea Senior Elementary School in St. Catharines became available, and Eden High School (the “Christian” was dropped by the public board in April 1992) moved to the site in 1995.
By this time about one-third of the student body was Mennonite. The conference sold the old property for $1.25 million in 1998. Even the Scottlea facility soon proved too small, so in 2000 Eden High School moved again to the Lakeport Secondary School, also in St. Catharines, where the public high school and the alternative high school shared facilities. Lakeport Secondary School was in decline and closed in summer 2011, and Eden took over the whole facility. By that time it had over 800 students.
Eden High School operated as a regular public school, but chapel and religion classes were held before and after regular school hours. An active Spiritual Life Center continued to receive some funding from the Ontario Mennonite Brethren conference ($7500 in 2015).
After 2000, with the much more limited financial obligation from the Ontario Mennonite Brethren conference, Eden had less visibility in the larger Mennonite Brethren community, though Niagara Peninsula Mennonite Brethren were still involved in the spiritual life center and its programs. Not everyone was happy with the change. By 2015, with 850 students, the school seems to be more of an “alternative” school than a Christian school.
To learn more about Eden Christian College, read In Search of Promised Lands.